[AGENT++] How to use ProxyForwarder to forward requests to external snmp-daemon or another oid?

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Wed Oct 27 00:22:18 CEST 2010

Hi Jens,

On 26.10.2010 19:09, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while writing smart-snmpd we have to make a decision: implement some
> currently used
> netsnmp ucd-mibs or use the ProxyForwarder?

I would recommend using AgentX (AgentX++ master + net-snmp subagent).
With that, you can seamless migrate MIB modules into your
smart-snmpd.

> I personally would prefer the ProxyForwarder - but I couldn't figure
> out how to set it up
> which requests shall be forwarded to
> a) another oid, and
> b) an external (2nd) snmpd on the same host but another port

The ProxyForwarder (as defined by the RFC3413) cannot
be used because it forwards all requests to another agent
based on a community or context engine ID.

You cannot forward by a subtree OID.

Although AGENT++ provides also forwarding by OID (subtree)
I would not recommend it, AgentX provides a better
integration regarding performance and flexibility.