[MIB Designer] help on a LAN MIB design

dallo at telefin.it dallo at telefin.it
Tue Sep 25 17:19:16 CEST 2007

Hallo, I am a newcomer to MIB design.
My concern has been charged with the designing and implementing of a LAN
for telecommunications purposes.
(composed of some servers, switches, workstations,...)
There is of course in the system an application which manages the network,
as concern
faults , performances, ... and so on: the collected data are gathered on a
DB.
However, a necessity has arosen to export these network management data to
a third part system.
The two parts have agreeded to have a unique access to the network.
Therefore, it is necessary to build a unique MIB which
represents the information from the devices all over the network: the
third part Manager Agent requests our internal Agent (to be built)
which, on the basis of the unique MIB, gets the requested information from
the DB.
Where could I get information (books, ...) which could help me to design
such a unique MIB? One of the related problem is the following:
each device, once it has been configured on the above mentioned
application, is easily walked and the related data saved to the DB. But
how for instance
to represent the mib-2 into the unique MIB, for each device?
Thank you very much for the answers.
Best regards.

Michele Dall'O'
Telefin SpA