[SNMP4J] About UGLI and log4j

Kevin J. Schmidt kjschmidt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 15:44:53 CEST 2005

Hi,

For those opposed to Log4J: Is it really that onerous to just create a
custom Log4J Appender and have it catch Log4J messages and then throw
them into whatever logging API you use? I've never used Log4J before,
but I was able to do this in about two hours or less. I think this
shows how well thought out and documented Log4J is.

I also like Log4J's approach to logging. It also has Syslog
capabilities built in which is nice.

On Apr 1, 2005 12:45 PM, Frank Fock <fock at agentpp.com> wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> OK, since there are many complains I will implement a logger
> interface for SNMP4J that allows to specify a logging factory
> through a static method.
> By default there will be no logging used. The changes will go
> into v1.2.1 which will be available on Monday.

> Ronald.Madsen at utstar.com wrote:
>
> >I agree and would have preferred a different logging model all together -
> >something more along the lines of a package-specific callback interface
> >passed when constructing an Snmp() instance.  "null" is OK if you don't
> >want any logging., or I could implement the interface to use my logger.
> >
> >Many applications already have a logging facility and integrating log4j
> >just adds unnecessary complexity to get both to behave nicely in the same
> >app.
> >
> >Just my opinion.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Ron
> >

> >Fabrice Bacchella <fabrice.bacchella at 9online.fr>@agentpp.org on 04/01/2005
> >09:07:10 AM
> >
> >Sent by:    snmp4j-bounces at agentpp.org
> >

> >To:    snmp4j at agentpp.org
> >cc:
> >Subject:    [SNMP4J] About UGLI and log4j
> >

> >Wasn't the switch to log4j 1.3 a litte to fast ?
> >
> >It's still in alpha, not even beta, stage and there is still a lot of
> >works to do. For example, DailyRollingFileAppender is missing, and
> >chainsaw too, amongst a lot of other things.
> >
> >And I'm now in trouble, because when I update snmp4j, I didn't kept the
> >old version, which is not available to download. Can some one tell me
> >where I can find it ?
> >
> >--
> >petite bibliothèque de curiosités à l'usage des explorateurs de
> >l'imaginaire
> >www.castalie.fr

Kevin J. Schmidt
<kjschmidt at gmail.com>