[SNMP4J] About UGLI and log4j

Gregor B. Rosenauer gregor.rosenauer at siemens.com
Thu Apr 7 17:14:28 CEST 2005

Fabrice Bacchella wrote:

Since I brought this topic up, may I add some comments:
(since Frank provides a nice abstraction layer, this point is solved
anyway, but just to do log4j justice):

> Wasn't the switch to log4j 1.3 a litte to fast ?
Don't get mislead by the "alpha"-tag. This is a proven and reliable
framework, the parts that 1.2.9 supports are stable.

It is only the UGLI-interface which is not yet stabilized, and I
discovered this only after suggesting it to Frank.

There is no problem in using the new 1.3-framework with your own
wrapper-class, though, such as the abstraction-layer provided in the
latest SNMP4J-release.

The parameterized log-messages-feature alone made me switch, YMMV.
(see log4j-FAQ, IIRC Q 2.2 "What is the fastest way of not logging?")

> DailyRollingFileAppender is missing, and
> chainsaw too, amongst a lot of other things.
What's wrong with org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender ?
It is recommended by the author of the old DailyRollingFileAppender and
offers even more flexibility.

Chainsaw has been improved and is part of log4j-1.3alpha6, see the
directory "chainsaw".

The only gripe about log4j is the lack of documentation, apart from the
commercial book, you have to search your way through the very sparse
Javadocs, forums, sample-code and lastly the source itself...

regards,
Gregor