[SNMP4J] snmp manager simulator

Lucio Crusca lucio at sulweb.org
Tue Feb 1 16:25:43 CET 2011

Hello *,

a customer asked me to develop a snmp "server" that simulates a real snmp (I
assume he needs a "manager and fake agent"). He handed me a load of mibs.

Now let's take for granted I understand very little of snmp, and so does my
customer (it's subcontracted job). I did read some documentation about snmp,
but "simple" does not mean "easy", as I've read somewhere... so please be
patient if I ask trivial questions. I know quite enough of java, though.

The snmp simulator should listen for requests and reply after a per-OID
configurable delay of time. The whole thing is read-only.

Where do I start from? Is code-generation the best way to go in my case, or am
I better off with runtime parsing, since I have to add configurable delays?

Thanks in advance
Lucio.